Oregano provides good medicinal effect on our body, adds a distinct flavor to food , and gives a therapeutic flavor substitute like black pepper”, says Cynthia G. Castro, a nutritionist-dietitian. Herbs has a higher antioxidant activity than fruits, vegetables and some spices, including garlic. That is why people should use more herbs for flavoring instead of salt and artificial chemicals. It was found out that oregano has 3-20 times higher antioxidant activity than the others. It has also 42 times more antioxidant activity than apples, 30 times more than potatoes, 12 times more than oranges and 4 times more than blueberries. Dried or ground oregano contains the following vitamins A, C, K, iron, manganese, dietary fiber, calcium, magnesium and omega-3fatty acids.
The plant’s oval grayish-green leaves are frequently used in pizza, spaghetti and marinara sauces, and many Italian dishes. Oregano complements beef or lamb stews, gravies, salads, soups, even tomato juice.
Oregano Anti properties
Origano known for its strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Helps loosen phlegm in the lungs
- Relieves spasms in the bronchial passages
- Inhibits bacteria growth, including Pseudomonas aeroginosa, a rod-shaped bacterium that takes advantage of the weakened immune system of an ill person and causes different infections such as respiratory tract infection, and Staphylococcus aureus, a spherical bacterium frequently part of the skin flora found in the nose and on skin. It can cause minor skin infections such as pimples or life-threatening diseases such as pneumonia.
- Treats Giardia lamblia, a common bacteria ingested through food, which can cause mild digestive problems to very serious illnesses
- Helps prevent oxygent-bassed damage to the body “s cell structure
- Rosmarinic acid
- Treats Allergic asthma
- Prevents oxygen-based damage to cells
- Prevents cell damage caused by free radicals, thus reducing the risk of cancer, heart disease, atherosclerosis and premature aging.
- Blocks the Cox-2 enzyme in the body that causes pain and possibly cancer.
- Oregano leaf extracts stabilize lard against oxidation and show antioxidant powers when tested on vegetable oils during storage or frying conditions
- Together with triterpenois, sterol, vitamins C and A, the leaf can treat infections in a woman’s reproductive tract after child birth.
When is oregano a big no-no?
- Do not used oregano if you have allergic reaction to it or to other herbs in the same family, such as thyme, hyssop, basil, marjoram, mint, and sage.
- If you develop a rash or skin irritation.
- If you have iron-deficiency anemia. Consult your health care before using oregano.
- If you have taken an iron supplement or have eaten foods high in iron two hours before or after.