The Department of Science and Technology calls Saluyot as one of the most nutritious vegetables. And for the Ilocanos, it is their simple secret behind long life, good health and youthful looks. Saluyot is the best resistance against the threat of swine flu and fortify our defenses against communicable diseases. That is wy every Filipino people are encourage to eat plenty of saluyot
Here are saluyot’s components that help lengthen life span.
*Proteins for growth and repair of muscles, bones, skin, tendons, ligaments, hair, eyes and other tissues. It also assists the body to resist infection.
*Folate to aid in the making of normal red blood cells, DNA and RNA. Not enough folic acid during pregnancy increases the baby’s risk for a birth defect involving the spinal cord and brain, as well as a neural tube defect such as spina bifida or anencephaly.
*Riboflavin to assist in the digestion and absorption of fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
*Phosphorus for strong bones and skeletal structure, maintenance and repair of cells production of energy needed for muscle contractions and nerve impulses. It is also involved in genetic transfer of heredity traits.
*Potassium for normal water balance in the body, muscle growth, nervous and brain functions.
*Thiamin so the nervous system and the muscles can function well and help in the flow of electrolytes in and out of nerve and muscle cells, as well as aid in the production of hydrochloric acid which is necessary for proper digestions.
*Niacin for protection against fatigue, high “bad” cholesterol and blood vessel wall plaques.
*Iron to help cure anemia. But iron to be absorbed in the body, it needs partners like vitamin C, copper and manganese.
* Fiber to keep the intestinal tract in good health.
* Calcium that makes strong teeth and bones.
* Ascorbic Acid to smoothen and clear skin, make the immune cells strong and speed up wound healing.
* Vitamin E to slow down the aches and pains associated with aging, control infertility and increase stamina. It also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines in the face and body.
* Beta Carotene to help repair the body’s cells and improve eyesight.
* Vitamin A helps in the information of skin cells and mucus membranes.
* Vitamin C improves blood circulation. It helps lower the risk of cataracts and other eye disorders.
Knowing those essential vitamins that we get from that simple plant that grows in the farm, let us all eat saluyot now!